The Bilingual (English/Spanish) Preschool Associate Teacher Certificate is designed to prepare the native Spanish (English as a second language) speaker to be an assistant/associate teacher in a licensed preschool serving Spanish speaking families and children. The courses in this certificate are presented in English and Spanish, with the recommendation to be concurrently enrolled in ESL or EMLS classes, encouraging mastery of both languages.
Students must complete the following in order to earn this certificate and the California Associate Teacher Permit, which is needed to be employed in publically funded programs and to earn a position in a licensed private or faith-based preschool.
- Coursework with a grade of C or better
- Work experience of 150 days of 3 hours per day within 4 years (see Child Development faculty for information about this requirement)(Have the following document filled out: CDP: Verification of Experience)
- EMLS 112 or English 061 or higher
- Passing of Spanish AP test or Spanish 102
- Students will demonstrate a knowledge base of early childhood and development of young children 3-5 years old.
- Students will apply the knowledge base of theory to practice through thoughtful reflections on classroom observations.
- Students will understand the main philosophical and sociological ideas and trends that have influenced education.
|Child Development 070||Early Childhood Education: Introductory Principles and Practices (DS3)||3||Fall, Spring|
|Child Development 107||Child Growth and Development (DS1)||3||Fall, Spring|
|Child Development 108||Observation and Assessment for Early Learning and Development (DS3)||3||Fall, Spring|
|Child Development 110||Child, Family, and Community (DS2)||3||Fall, Spring|
|Child Development 111A||Principles and Practices of Teaching Young Children||3||Fall, Spring|
|Child Development 111B||Introduction to Curriculum for Young Children||3||Fall, Spring|