Navigate Up
Sign In
Santa Ana College
Contact Us

DHHP Frequently Asked Questions

Services for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Students


 If you have a hearing loss that makes it difficult for you to participate in class without some kind of accommodation you may be eligible for services from the DHHP office.

How do I get services? 

Once you have completed a district application and receive a student ID number from Admissions, you may contact the DHHP Faculty Coordinator Monica Collins by email or call 714-564-6283, 714-564-6284 (TTY) and ask for an intake appointment.
An appointment will be scheduled for you with the Faculty Coordinator or the Student Services Specialist. The appointment will be scheduled for the earliest date possible. 

What do I need for my intake appointment? 

You will need to bring your student ID number and a copy of an audiogram to verify your hearing loss.

What information will you ask of me?

You will need to tell us your name, address, email address or phone number for contacting you. Your educational goals, if you have support from the Department of Rehabilitation, and classes you would like to take.  So that we can determine all necessary accommodations, we will ask about your educational background, family background, language learning and medical history.

May I take any class I want? 

If you want to take English or math classes you will need to take the appropriate placement tests. We offer those tests in our office with someone who can sign, so you do not need to make an appointment with the Testing Center. You may of course, take the placement tests on your own at the Testing Center if you wish.
The placement test will not be administered on the day of your intake unless arranged for prior. A return appointment will be made with you at the end of the intake appointment.  

What type of services will I get from the DHHP office? 

The services you will receive will be decided together with the Faculty Coordinator and/or Student Services Specialist. Services will be discussed with you and a decision will be made on an individual basis. You may need more services than a friend or fewer services.  

What are some common services deaf and hard of hearing students qualify for?

  •  Academic counseling
  • Assistive listening devices
  • Closed captioning 
  • Computer Aided Real Time Captioning (CART)
  • Note taker
  • Preferential seating
  • Priority registration
  • Sign Language interpreters
  • Vocational counseling
Return to DHH Homepage