Sign In
Contact Us

Academic Renewal

Academic Renewal  (formerly: Academic Renewal Without Course Repetition)   

Inasmuch as past performance does not always reflect accurately a student's actual ability, Santa Ana College has established a policy of academic renewal.

A student may petition the Admissions and Guidance Committee two or more years after recording of the substandard work to have up to 20 units of below C, lower division, work at any institution disregarded in the computation of the grade point average.

To be eligible, the student must have completed 30 letter grade units with a grade point average of 2.0 or completed 15 letter grade units with an average grade point average of 3.0 in semesters or sessions of academic enrollment from the beginning of the renewal period. Units will be counted from the semester immediately following the substandard work. All semesters following cannot contain any substandard grades.

The petition shall require the approval of the Admissions and Guidance Committee, and the permanent academic record shall be annotated in such a manner that all work remains legible. Petition approved work will not count toward graduation or general education certification requirements. Students approved for Academic Renewal are not eligible for Academic Honors. After AA/AS degree or CSU or IGETC certificate has been applied and is posted, academic renewal is not accepted.

Academic renewal at a college in the Rancho Santiago Community College District does not guarantee that other institutions will approve such action. This determination will be made by the respective transfer institutions.

Santa Ana College is accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges, Western Association of Schools and Colleges, 10 Commercial Blvd., Suite 204, Novato, CA 94949, (415) 506-0234, an institutional accrediting body recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation and the U.S. Department of Education. Additional information about accreditation, including the filing of complaints against member institutions, can be found at: