Thank you for your service
The following information is provided to help Veterans with healthcare experience in obtaining advance placement into or equivalency for SAC's Nursing program.
To be considered for advance placement, military healthcare experience must be following an honorable discharge, as evidenced by Form DD-214, prerequisites* must be completed, and ATI TEAS passed. An individual appointment with the Program Director or designee is required.
If the incoming veteran is licensed as an Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) –
- There will be a review of transcripts and experience to determine if obstetric, pediatric, psychiatric, and/or medical/surgical content is sufficient for placement in the second, third, or fourth semesters upon space availability.
- The Role Transition course, NRN-200, will be required, or successfully challenged, regardless of which semester is entered. Role Transition is required prior to entering the appropriate Nursing Program semester.
If the incoming veteran has military healthcare experience but is not licensed (not an LVN) –
- This procedure will only occur in Spring semester.
- There will be written exams covering Nursing content to be passed at 75% or higher. A course overview will be given prior to the exams.
- Successful completion of the theory test will be followed by a dosage calculation competency. The calculation test must be passed at 85% or higher.
- Upon successful completion of the tests, a skills test of all required skills will be given.
- Upon successful completion of the skills test, the student will be eligible to enter the appropriate semester upon space availability.
- The Role Transition course, NRN-200, will be required, or successfully challenged, prior to entering to the appropriate Nursing Program semester.
*Complete SAC Nursing program prerequisites or equivalents: General Human Anatomy (Bio 239), Human Physiology (Bio 249), Microbiology (Bio 139 or 229), and Freshman Composition (English 101 or 101H).
- Science prerequisites must have been completed within the last seven years, prior to application.
- All the prerequisites require a grade of “C” or higher, with a combined GPA of 2.5 or higher.