Welcome to SAC Biotechnology
What is biotechnology?
Biotechnology is the use of living systems or organisms to make useful products. It creates new systems, devices, and materials to improve the quality of our lives by combining modern technology with our knowledge of life processes and living organisms.
What degrees/certificates does SAC offer?
Click here to find out what degrees/certificates SAC offers.
What careers are available in biotechnology?
|Quality Assurance/Quality Control||Endangered Species Protection/Veterinary Medicine|
|Forensics||Medical research, Pharmaceutical Development, Genetic Screening|
|Crop Development/Food Safety|
How well does it pay?
Entry-level positions in middle-skill biotech occupations average between $15-$25 per hour
How soon can I start working in biotechnology?
In just one semester, you can obtain a certificate and begin working in a biotechnology position. Flexible class schedules mean if you wish to pursue a degree, you can do so while you work.
What if I can't get the classes I need at SAC?
SAC Biotechnology has partnered with Santiago Canyon College, Fullerton College and Irvine Valley College, meaning that you can take your biotech classes at these colleges and still receive credit for them here.
What Job opportunities are available?
There are over 1000 biotech and bioprocessing companies in Orange County, with OC county and LA county making up 25% of all biotech positions in the state. The top employers in these areas are:
University of Southern California
Providence Health & Services
UCLA Health System
With many more opportunities opening up everyday
What are some Fun Facts about Biotechnology:
- More than 325 million patients have benefited from approved medicines manufactured through biotechnology
- Biotechnology improves crop insect resistance, enhances crop herbicide tolerance and facilities the use of more environmentally sustainable farming practices
- Biotechnology fuels the world by developing better biofuels like ethanol and biodiesel
- Biotechnology helps protect the environment through bioremediation, a process where organisms are used to clean up environmental pollutants
- Southern California has 49% of the biotech jobs in the state