The Student Leadership Institute, a partnership effort between SAC and CSUF, is a certificated leadership training program that has been in existence for over 10 years.
The Emerging Leaders program is a free, six competency program developed for students who are looking to boost their leadership skills quickly with a cohort of their peers. The program consists of two, full-day retreats, where participants learn about themselves and other. The first retreat simplifies the decision-making process, moving students toward their goals, and providing new networks to promote success. The second retreat focuses on identity and how leaders engage with others through culturally competent means.
Upon completion of the Emerging Leaders Program, students will be recognized at the Student Leadership Institute Banquet along with other leadership program participants. There they will receive their SLI: Emerging Leaders Program certificate and limited edition lapel pin.
Benefits for Participants
ACQUIRE the building blocks to effective leadership
UNDERSTAND how to have meaningful interactions with a diverse group of people
LEARN techniques to communicate effectively
ENHANCE important life skills
NETWORK with current students, faculty, staff, and professionals from the community
SUPPLEMENT your in-class education with out-of-class experiences
Expectations of Participants
ATTEND both days from 9:00am-4:00pm
BE on time or early each day
ACTIVELY participate in both days
DEMONSTRATE respectful and cooperative behavior at all times
ATTEND the official awards banquet ceremony in April 15, 2020 from 5:00pm-8:00pm at CSUF to receive your certificate
- Currently enrolled at SAC.
- Must be taking classes at SAC for the school year of 2019-2020.
- Committed to developing your leadership skills while playing an active role in each seminar, listening carefully, and demonstrating excellent behavior.
- Committed to being punctual and completing the entire two day institute.
- After completing the two day training, student must complete 5 volunteer hours with Associated Student Government by the end of Spring 2020, serve on a participatory governance committee meeting for 2019-2020, or serve on a leadership role with Associated Student Government for 2019-2020.
- Committed to not only completing the two day leadership institute at SAC but also committed to attending the closing banquet at CSUF in April 15, 2020 from 5:00pm to 8:00pm.