RANCHO SANTIAGO COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT
Sample problems for "TEST of ENGLISH LANGUAGE DEVELOPMENT" (TELD)
For Credit ESL Programs at SAC and SCC
If English is not your first language, the English placement test you need to take is the TELD. This handout will show you the kinds of questions theTELD asks you to solve. The actual test has 75 grammar problems, and you have 40 minutes to complete them. They are divided into 3 sections: basic structure, error analysis, and sentence combining. Examples for each section follow.
1. GRAMMAR SECTION I: BASIC STRUCTURE
Mark the letter of the correct answer on your answer sheet.
1. Mary always_____________to school on time.
a. is coming
c. has come
d. had come
2. Reza didn't know the answer to number 5, and __________.
a. so did I
b. so I did
c. neither I did
d. neither did I
3. Despite __________, Keiko decided to give snowboarding a try.
a. never having done it before
b. she never did it before
c. that she had never done it before
d. that she never has done it before
Section I: (1)b (2)d (3)a
2. GRAMMAR SECTION II: ERROR ANALYSIS
Mark the letter of the incorrect piece in each sentence on your answer sheet.
4. The man standing by the door was look outside at the rain.
A B C D
5. I need to find a house which its payments I can easily afford.
A B C D
6. At the party last weekend, one of my friends were playing the guitar.
A B C D
Section II: (4)c (5)b (6)c
3. GRAMMAR SECTION II: ERROR ANALYSIS
Mark the letter of the best way to join all the ideas together.
7. The young man stood in the airport.
He was silent
He was waiting for his wife.
a. The silent young man stood in the airport, waited for his wife.
b. The young man stood silently in the airport, waited for his wife.
c. The young man stood silently in the airport, waiting for his wife.
8. He parked in a no-parking zone.
He got a ticket.
The ticket was $75.
a. Because of he parked in a no-parking zone, he got a ticket and had to pay $75.
b. As a result of parking in a no-parking zone, he got a ticket for $75.
c. He parked in a no-parking zone so that he got a ticket for $75.
9. The lab contains about 50 computers.
Lucy and Sylvia work in the lab.
The computers offer excellent programs for students.
a. The lab where Sylvia and Lucy work contains about 50 computers with excellent
programs for students.
b. Sylvia and Lucy work in a lab which contains about 50 computers which they
offer excellent programs for students.
c. The lab where Sylvia and Lucy work which contains about 50 computers with
excellent programs for students.
Section III: (7)c (8)b (9)