What is the basis for Santa Ana Adelante?
Santa Ana Adelante is the latest initiative of the Santa Ana Partnership, which was formed in 1983 by the UCI, CSUF, SAC, SAUSD and the City of Santa Ana to elevate academic achievement and college-going throughout the greater Santa Ana area. Our goal is to one day have a college degree in every home in Santa Ana.
What benefits does Santa Ana Adelante provide to students?
Santa Ana Adelante provides every SAUSD high school graduate with the promise of admission to CSUF provided they enroll at Santa Ana College and complete all academic and application requirements for transfer admission to CSUF.
How is this program different from other similar programs in the region?
The unique features of this program are that it provides all participating students with:
- Guaranteed financial support for their pre-transfer studies at SAC.
- The opportunity to enroll in academic learning communities at SAC to ensure access to college English & Math courses during the freshman year.
- Transfer mentors who graduated from local high schools will guide students at critical points in their journey towards CSUF.
- Padres Promotores de Educación, The Santa Ana Partnership’s parent outreach and empowerment arm, will provide an initial orientation and annual workshops for the parents of all participating students to ensure they understand how the pathway works at every stage of their student’s education.
- One-Stop Higher Education Centers at all SAUSD high schools, staffed with full-time Higher Education Specialists, provide a secondary launch pad for all students interested in opting into the Santa Ana Pledge.
- High School graduation requirements modeled after the entrance requirements for CSU help to accelerate student’s progress through SAC enroute to CSUF.
- Early Decision, a special college enrollment process at SAC, will allow all program participants to sign up for college classes during the spring semester of their senior year in high school.
- Students will be provided with library cards & privileges at CSUF while enrolled at SAC as well as special invitations to CSUF programs and activities throughout the year.
- SAC utilizes CSU’s EAP for placement in college level Math and English classes.
Why is the program being created at this time?
California’s protracted budget crisis has caused many students, especially those who are the first in their family to attend college, to reconsider their dreams of higher education. We want to send a clear and strong message to those students and their families that college is in their future.
Are the academic requirements for admission different for students participating in Santa Ana ¡Adelante!?
No. They are exactly the same academic requirements that all students must meet.
When does the program begin?
All SAUSD graduates in the class of 2011 are eligible to participate. The program will be on-going thereafter.
What other similar efforts are available in California?
Santa Ana Adelante is proud to join other pathway to college efforts in California each of which offers unique programs and services tailored to the communities they serve. Similar efforts we are aware of include The El Monte Pledge (targeting UCI), The Long Beach Promise (targeting CSULB).